Shop: Dancewear Centre
Store Owners: Rob & Amanda
Location: Toronto, Ontario (Canada)
Expertise: Dance lifestyle products (everything to dance!) :)
What is your background and what led you to start your business?
One of us had a dance background and the other had a business background. It was also a family business and carrying on the tradition was important to us. We also have a strong passion for dance and bringing the best possible products to our dance community in a one stop shop!
What keeps you going and doing what you're doing as a store owner?
Helping our dance community thrive by supporting them with products that will make their experience and passion for dance extra special and memorable!
What do you love most about providing dancewear to your community?
Giving dancers the products they need and desire to fulfill that passion for dance. We also love seeing them come in and immediately feel special, like the store was made just for them. It's always a magical moment when they walk in and can't wait to walk down every aisle and try everything out.
What are some favorite brands that your store carries, and why?
- Bloch: An overall customer favourite with a large selection of dance products that are both reasonably priced and are great quality.
- iloveplum : The most adorable tutu dresses for kids! They always come out with fun colours, simple but with memorable designs. They're not only great for dancing but great for events like weddings, birthday parties, etc. And they also make great gifts for that special little ballerina in your life!
- Spiritual Gangster : One of our most favourite loungewear brands. The dance moms and yogis can't get enough of this brand, and we can't either! Their designs are so clever with their love notes and uplifting words of wisdom printed on their products. They're also super comfortable! Perfect for everyday life ;).
- Pointe People: What a great way to change your pointe shoes into whatever shade or colour your heart desires. They're great for matching your skin tone, matching a costume, or just having a fun art project with your pointe shoes!
- Ainsliewear: This Canadian brand is one of our favourites - as well as our customers! They make beautiful designs that are unlike any other. You immediately know that it's an Ainsliewear leotard when you see it on stage, in class, or at an audition. The quality is outstanding and very comfortable.
What sets your store apart from other dancewear retailers, and why?
We focus on dance as a lifestyle, bringing products that relate to a dancer's everyday life. Not just your usual dancewear and dance shoes/hair accessories etc.
Are there any new dancewear and/or accessory trends you’ve noticed lately?
We are definitely very excited about the new shades a lot of the dance brands are coming out with. We've carried many skin tones in tights and undergarments in the past, but there were never really options out there in pointe shoes for all skin tones. The big pointe shoe brands like Gaynor Minden, Russian Pointe, Bloch, Capezio, Grishko have all introduced a new line of shades, and we couldn't be more excited to bring them to Dancewear Centre.
We will definitely make an announcement when they do officially become available. At the moment, we do have some that are available through ordering. We hope by the next dance season coming in September (in hopes that all studios will reopen), that we will have these new shades available in store!
What are some of your best-selling products?
- Ballet Slippers!
- Leotards (Dance & Gymnastics)
- Pointe Shoes
- Jazz Shoes
- Tap Shoes
A lot of dancers struggle to find pointe shoes that fit correctly and flatter their feet. Do you have any advice for finding the perfect pair of pointe shoes?
The best advice we can offer you is to book a fitting appointment with your local store. More often than not, they will have someone who is specifically trained to fit you properly and to help you find the perfect fit. It is extremely important to find the right fit for your pointe shoes, not just for aesthetic reasons, but also for safety.
Pointe shoe brands have a large variety in fits and sizes, so there should be one out there that will both fit you correctly and flatter your feet! You just have to be fit properly by a professional fitter and be patient because sometimes it can take a while to find that perfect one!
In your opinion, is there a “must-have” item for any dancer for a specific type of dancer?
A good water bottle, a dance bag, and extra hair elastics! Oh and an extra pair of tights!
Staying hydrated is super important, so it's definitely a must-have for any dancer! A good dance bag is important as well because there's nothing more frustrating than when you can't find that missing hair pin or single ballet slipper. A good bag that has compartments for organization is key! Elastics tend to go missing; you either lend one to someone, or you misplace it, and then you're at dance with no way to put your hair up. An extra pack of elastics in your dance bag is definitely a must-have! Your teachers will be thankful for that one.
Last but not least, an extra pair of tights. We've all experienced a hole or run in our tights while we're dancing, changing, or simply pulling them up in class. It happens. Having an extra pair of tights in your bag is super handy especially when you've got an exam or a performance.
What made you decide to carry Pointe Paint?
At the time we began carrying Pointe People products, there were not many options in different skin tones for pointe shoes. We also had an interest in carrying a product that could easily change the colour of a pointe shoe for competitions/ performances (Victoria Paige Red is definitely a popular colour for comp!). Pointe Paint was really the first product that we found that could do all of that quickly, simply, and cost effectively.
What’s one thing you want customers to know about you and/or your store?
We want our customers to know that we are always here to help them find exactly what they need for their dance lives. Whether they are beginners looking for their first ballet slippers, or if they're a mature dancer looking to come back to the dance scene, we are here to help them find everything they need to succeed and most importantly, enjoy their time dancing.
Is there anything else you'd like to share with the PointePeople community?
Thank you for including us in this interview! We love sharing our passion for dance and dance products!