Hydration is one of the most important factors for healthy living.
Hydration is important to many bodily functions such as aiding digestive processes. Digestive processes are important as poor digestion can cause stomach aches and bloat.
In addition, staying hydrated is important to help keep the body from overheating.
How much water should I consume?
The question many of you probably have is “how much water should we consume?”.
According to the American College of Sports Medicine, athletes should consume between 12-15 cups of water per day. This is equivalent to about 2 gallons or 12-15, 8-ounce glasses per day.
The average person is recommended to consume 8, 8-ounce glasses of water per day which is close to 2 liters.
What are some tips to promote hydration easily?
On performance days, it’s always important to take frequent sips of water to promote hydration.
Water consumption also includes water that can be absorbed through fruits and vegetables.
- set a timer to try and drink an ounce an hour
- spread out throughout a period of time to prevent cramping
- always carry a water bottle
- buy a reusable bottle
- take frequent sips
- eat fruits and vegetables like watermelon and lettuce, that have high water content and also promote water intake
- add fruit to your water to make it tasteful and fun